Managing Fungus in Humid Conditions – A Texas Homeowner’s Guide to Mold and Fungal Infections

mold growth

Catching a break from humidity is like trying to watch your friend’s energetic dog. This means always paying close attention to it and keeping it under control is a must, or else it will make a mess! The mess being fungal infections or mold growth in the case of humidity.

Some people sweat more than others but there’s no arguing that humidity makes sweating harder to manage for everyone. When mold starts to grow in a humid Texas residency, most people already know they have a big problem on their hands. Which is why it’s important to take time to prevent mold growth and practice personal hygiene to stay clear of fungal infections in the humid climate of Texas.

Mold Growth at Home

First, it’s important to clarify what conditions mold can grow in. Mold is found indoors and outdoors and thrives in humid, warm, and damp conditions. As a matter of fact, nobody knows how many species of mold exist so they could grow in many different conditions. For example, mold may not do well in dry environments, but mold spores can still survive even in extreme and diverse conditions. People can’t start a search in any residency merely by looking for signs of visible mold. The best place to check for mold in any household is always near the vents where the water is, and in the basement or utility room. Basically, any area that has moisture and humidity present.

If one does not know what to look for, they can start off by searching for something that looks black, green, or brown. It may also be fuzzy and give off a musty scent. A few signs that are important to recognize if someone has mold in their house will be recognizing persistent physical symptoms that almost replicate allergies. This can be things like running noses, rashes, sneezing, coughing, etc. These symptoms will most likely be constant, and the individual or individuals will feel better when they leave the contaminated area.

If there is any suspicion of the mold being present, testing for mold should be the very first step. This may frighten homeowners because of the cost and labor, but this is the health of the homeowner, their family, and their home that are in jeopardy. The average cost to test for mold is around $834 according to Homeadvisor.com. Many attempts to buy a cheap kit to use themselves, but quickly find it to not be accurate. It is best to let a professional handle it.

If one absolutely knows that they have mold in their home, then there are actions that need to be taken as soon as possible. If the problem mold area is only around three square feet, one can just take some bleach and water (1 part bleach, 15 parts water) and treat the area themselves. If the area is any bigger than three square feet, it is recommended to hire a fungus professional to look into removing it. The longer one waits to treat the problem, the more damage can be brought upon the homeowner, their family, and their home. If the problem is not treated in a timely manner, the maintenance cost will also rise as time goes on.

Fungal Infections Our Bodies Contract

It is important to know what mold and fungus can do to a body as much as one’s home. Fungal infections in the human body are actually fairly common, and it’s important to be able to spot them and know about them. A pathogenic fungus, otherwise known as a dermatophyte, is a fungus that infects and eats the outermost layer of the skin, nails, or hair and scalp. One of the most common fungi that is publicly recognizable is athlete’s foot. This is a fungus that has symptoms that cause your feet to feel a burning and itching sensation, followed by peeling.

Athlete’s foot happens mostly when wearing the same pair of socks over an extended period of time, coupled with sweaty feet. It can also happen when one simply sweats too much, wears another person’s footwear, or by walking around barefoot at a gym locker room and shower area. Athlete’s foot is luckily very treatable. One can cure this fungal infection by washing their feet well, letting their feet breathe, buying new socks, or by purchasing ointment specifically aimed to treat athlete’s foot. Some severe cases that cannot be helped by ointment or natural remedies should be taken to a medical professional.

Another common fungal infection is ringworm. By definition, ringworm is a contagious itching skin disease that occurs in small circular patches, caused by a number of fungi and affecting the scalp or feet. It is also known as “tinea”. This infection is common in humans as well as animals – most particularly dogs. However, like athlete’s foot, ringworm is also treatable in both humans and domestic animals. Depending on how severe the infection is, animals can be treated with over-the-counter shampoo and ointment or prescribed oral medications given by a veterinarian. Humans have even more treatment options ranging from lotions and powders to pills and patches. Some are over-the-counter, but the quickest cures are prescription antifungal treatments.

For those who favor strictly natural remedies, try applying diluted apple vinegar to the infected patch area with a swab or cotton ball several times a day until the patches are gone. And as always, if the infection is more severe, always seek a professional opinion for further help.

.                         .                         .

Fungal infections, as well as mold growths, can be a pesky thing to recognize right off the bat. They are not always visible to the naked eye, and are commonly overlooked as allergy symptoms or a clustered collection of fuzzy, benign dust. However, if taking the proper measures to look further into the problem, there may just be a solution at hand. Whether treating a mold growth in a household or treating the human body, it’s important to always take precaution and seek a professional if need be before it’s too late. Take these symptoms seriously and catching the signs early can make a world of difference.